Here are a few every day self-care tips that may be useful in preventing UTIs:
General tips for preventing cystitis
- Drink lots of fluids (especially water) and urinate frequently – this can help wash any harmful bacteria through your system
- Don’t hold on – go to the toilet when you need to
- Try taking showers rather than soaking in a bath
- Wear underwear that’s made from cotton rather than synthetic materials
- Try drinking cranberry juice or taking cranberry extract supplements like URAL Daily Supplement High Strength Cranberry Capsules which can help reduce the occurrence of medically diagnosed cystitis and maintaining urinary tract health. Remember to check with your doctor or pharmacist for any possible interactions with other medications you are taking before taking any cranberry products.
Do you suffer from recurrent UTIs?
URAMET® helps prevent recurrent urinary tract infections. Uramet is an antibacterial tablet that contains the active ingredient methenamine hippurate that works by suppressing bacteria in the urine that can cause UTIs. It may be used for short or long-term UTI prevention and can be taken every day to prevent recurrent UTIs.
Some tips especially for women
- Always wipe from front to back after going to the toilet – this can help prevent the spread of any bacteria to your urethra and vagina
- Try to go to the toilet soon after you have sex – this helps flush away any harmful bacteria that may have found their way in to the urethra
- If you use a contraceptive diaphragm or spermicide gels and have problems with UTIs–talk to your doctor. They may recommend an alternative method of contraception.
You may find that certain things can trigger your UTIs or make it worse – try keeping a diary if recurring UTIs is a problem to help identify them. If you do you get recurring UTIs, it’s important to see your doctor to check things out.