Urinary Tract Infections In Men
While UTIs in men are rare it is possible that you may be experiencing one. More often occurring in women because of the differences between male and female anatomy men generally have more natural barriers to urinary bacteria. Here is your guide to the symptoms, causes and treatment for urinary tract infections in men.
Symptoms for UTIs in men can include:
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate.
- Pain or difficulty and discomfort while urinating.
- Lower abdominal pain.
- Cloudy, bloody, or offensive smelling urine.
- A weak stream, or the sensation that the bladder is never empty.
Causes of a UTI for a male can include:
- An enlarged prostate gland, which can block the flow of urine.
- Ageing. Typically older males contract UTIs. With age, your body’s ability to fight bacteria in the prostate diminishes.
- Incomplete emptying of the bladder.
- Certain medications which can weaken the bladder muscle. If you believe this is the case, speak to your doctor.
When any symptoms occur, even minor, it is important that you seek medical assistance immediately. Urinary tract infection treatment in a man is often more complicated than that of a woman.
While taking medication for UTIs, you can relieve symptoms with lots of fluids. Though you may be tempted to reduce your fluid intake, adequate fluids induce urination, flushing the bacteria from your system. A urinary alkalinizer such as Ural effervescent drink can also ease UTI symptoms. Ural effervescent powder reduces the acidity of urine, lessening the painful, stinging feeling of urinating. Ural Cranberry Effervescent Powder helps support a healthy urinary tract and is available in two flavours, Lemon and Cranberry. Taking a high strength cranberry supplement like Ural Cranberry 60,000mg capsules can help flush bacteria out of the urinary tract.